This course is designed for those who wish to work as a chef in the hotel/ restaurant/ contract catering sectors. This course includes a mixture of classroom and practical hospitality classes. These are taught in our state-of-the-art facilities, which include dedicated training kitchens, a stylish restaurant and modern classrooms and IT labs. The course is free for everyone. You will receive a uniform and knife set on registration.
Be in Demand with Our Professional Courses
Core subjects covered including Volume Food production, Culinary Techniques, Pastry and more.
You will learn fundamental culinary skills from our dedicated and highly experience lecturers, taught in our fantastic facilities.
On this course you take a compulsory work placement at the end of your first year.
- Volume Food Production
- Nutrition & Menu Planning
- The Guest Experience & Service Standards
- Learning and Development for Higher Education
- Pastry Baking and Desserts
- Culinary Fundamentals
Minimum Entry Requirements
Mature applicants (i.e over 23 years)
Leaving Certificate Grade O6 at ordinary level in five subjects in the Leaving Certificate. Two of these subjects must be Mathematics and a language (English or Irish)
QQI Level 5 Full award with a minimum of eight modules. or Recognition of Prior Learning (APL/APEL)
Induction – Saturday 11th September 2023
Classes – Week commencing Monday 13th September 2023
This is a ICT Skills/Springboard+ Funded Programme.
This programme will be fully funded for eligible unemployed applicants.
Eligible employed applicants will be 90% funded. They will have to pay 10% directly to TUS. For full details of eligibility criteria and to apply go to www.springboardcourses.ie
Classroom – 2 X days per week
Level 6 NFQ , 60 Credits
- The Department of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure offers all students the opportunity to take part in overseas field trips to explore international hospitality. In the last three years our students have visited China, Dubai, Malaysia, Poland, Italy, France and Spain, among others.
- Completion of the course will allow you to progress to year 2 of the Higher Certificate in Culinary Arts
- Completion of the course will open up new opportunities in the culinary service sector.