Culinary Arts (Year 2 add-on)
If you have a strong passion and interest in food then this culinary arts course is for you. This course will appeal to students who want to make a career for themselves in the hospitality industry. The course is a very dynamic and hands on, which combines theory and practical subjects to equip you for the world of cooking. The hospitality industry is one that is evolving all the time and is very rewarding. This programme will prepare you to work as a professional chef in the tourism and hospitality sector.
Be in Demand with Our Professional Courses
Students in the Department of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure are eligible to take part in annual international fieldtrips. In the last two years we have visited Italy, Spain, France, China and Dubai.
Find out more about this course and our facilities by attending one of our regular open evenings where you can meet teaching staff and current students.
Online applications can be made at www.ait.ie and clicking Quicklinks and Apply Online.
- This programme teaches students how to cook, prepare and serve food.
- Each class will teach you specific skills, beginning with basic ingredient identification. Our culinary arts lecturers will help you train your senses, guiding you through an incredible range of tastes and flavours from herbs and condiments to vegetables and meats.
- Your progression will continue through the development of culinary techniques such as knife skills, cooking processes, pastry and baking, larder and restaurant service.
- Most of the culinary experience will be on classical French cuisine, however you will get to prepare food from around the world, including Spanish, Greek, Chinese, American and Italian cuisine.
- Your practical classes will be backed up with theory, for example, food safety and hygiene, menu planning and nutrition.
Minimum Entry Requirements
The part-time programme is aimed at those who are working full time in industry who have work experience. Applicants must have worked for one year full time in a restaurant, hotel or contract catering kitchen or similar. Applicants must apply online and will also be requested to attend interview.
Applicants aged under 23 should have a Level 5 qualification or equivalent. Applicants age 23 and over can apply as mature applicants.
Induction – Saturday 11th September 2023
Classes – Week commencing Monday 13th September 2023
To be confirmed.
Classroom- 2 x days per week
Level 6 NFQ , 60 Credits